Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Waiting

I will worship while I'm waiting......

The words are from a song on the movie Fireproof. I didn't realize I'd memorized those words, as it's been a while since I've seen the movie. The song kind of popped in my head, as I was trying desperately again to teach my 11 year-old adopted son to read.

This little guy has had a life no one should have to endure, yet he endured his most trying times before the age of 3. To date, he is the worst ever documented case of abuse discovered in Amarillo that did not result in death. I get tears in my eyes when I think of all he suffered. He was rescued at age 2 1/2, only to be abused in two subsequent foster homes. By the time he moved into our home at just before six years old, there was irrepairable damage done to his brain...or so we were told. His paperwork said he'd never mature passed the age of five, his communication skills probably age 3. He would be profoundly retarded for the rest of his life.

Before I go further, in no way am I trying to make our family look like heroes for taking him -- there are many issues involved in all the reasons for the adoption, but in the end, it just seemed like the right thing to do. The last few years have been trying, but each day we've been able to handle it...God has given us the strength to make it thru each day.....stamina for the day, nothing to roll over, nothing to save, but strength for the day is all we need.

I also want to say that this child is probably the happiest child you will ever meet. He never greets you with less than a smile, his laugh is infectious, and even in his times of struggle he will smile ever-so sadly and just plod on. So....today as we were going over phonics, he looks at me and ever so sweetly tells me, "Mom, learning to read is worth the wait." Are those the words of a five year-old? Can a 3 year-old really communicate so well?

How often do I really say something is worth the wait? How many times do I really mean it? How many things really are worth the wait?

Looking at him struggling to put words together, memorizing sight words, and "play" reading makes me realize just how profound his words were. He of all people, an 11 year-old MR child who was written off before he even turned 6, knows better than most people the sweet reward of diligence. He is anticipating, with joy might I add, just how wonderful it will be for him to read on his own.

May I finally learn to worship the Lord like my son views life. To face each day with joyful anticipation of what is to come...to worship while I'm waiting, whatever I may be waiting for...but to worship none-the-less.

Thank you my lovely son, for the gentle-tug you had on my heart today. Thank you Lord, for speaking thru him.

2 comments:

Jill, Jeremy, Brooke & Brendan said...

I stumbled upon your Blog while searching the web. Your story made me cry (about your adopted son.) I have a 3 year old and a 4 month old and cannot understand why someone would abuse such an innocent thing that God created! Just wanted to say hi, and I enjoyed reading your blog! Have a fabulous rest of the day. Best of luck to your family.

Marisol said...

Very sweet.