Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Difference

He's Off!!

My son left today to Peru...actually, he will be in Dallas until 6/25; that day they will fly to Miami, then on to Peru. His schedule is pretty booked until he returns on 7/22. He will spend 2 days in Dallas winding down, then fly home on 7/24.

I was thinking today about the differences between my son and I at the same age. At 19, I was a wild-child (nothing to brag about) who fled to the military...I marched into the Army during an inevitable war-time (Thank God I didn't have to go)....I flew from my hometown to Lubbock, TX, to Atlanta, then to Columbia, South Carolina. To this day I don't know how I made it, since I'm from a one-horse town and had never been inside an airport, let alone an airplane.

My son, at 19, is marching into a different war, one that is a lot more subtle, but its leader, our enemy, is so much more crafty. My son has flown before, but only as a small child...because of 9/11, we could not go with him to the boarding gate. It was difficult waving good-bye from the escalator, and I could hardly see through my tears.

The difference between us in our respective ages is enormous. I went with "war-time" heels; he is going in peace and hope. I went as I was running away; he is going because he is running "to"...the call of his God. I went with a rebellious heart that was full of hopelessness; he is going with a full heart that is overflowing with the knowledge of his Savior's love.

I don't blame anyone for my past; my parents were very dedicated and did what they could with me...I listened to the world-system. Thank God, He didn't let me go even though I made a commitment to Him at the age of 17 but did not honor until I was 37.

So, my lovely son...I will see you in 33 days....counting down day by day until you return full of stories and a love for the Peruvian people....Until then!

No comments: