Monday, June 22, 2009

Jude 1-2


I first submitted my life to Christ at age 17. Granted, I had no idea what it was all about...I made sure I was seen with my Bible, I tried memorizing scripture for memorizations' sake, and I continued living like a heathen. Definitely immature. At the height of immaturity, I firmly believed that if I had a question or a problem, I could simply open the bible and the first verse I laid my eyes on...that was my answer!! Oh, what a shame in reducing our Mighty God to a genie in a bottle. Thankfully, I grew up...took me a while...but I'm a work in progress.

Well, as only our Mighty God can do....yesterday we had some time to kill before my son had to go to the boarding gate, so he took the opportunity to take each of his brother's and sister's aside to have a little pep talk. He spent the longest time with his bio-brother, encouraging him to be the "oldest" and to take up the slack around the house. Seeing them sitting outside in the atrium together, laughing and joking, really touched my heart. Anyway, I was holding my son's bible, he has an NIV/Message parallel bible, and as I was trying my darndest not to cry, I opened his bible and the verses my eyes fell on were Jude 1-2 of the Message, which read:

1. I, Jude, am a slave to Jesus Christ and brother to James, writing to those loved by God the Father, called and kept safe by Jesus Christ. 2. Relax, everything's going to be all right; rest, everything's coming together; open your hearts, love is on the way!

Oh, what a mighty God we serve! That He would allow my eyes to fall on these two verses, at the exact moment that I was breaking down...I now have the verses posted on my pc, and when I start to feel that "anxiety" creep up, I will re-read the verses until they are memorized.

God was able to turn a childish notion of mine, over 20 years later, to comfort me when I needed it most. Best of all, when I opened the my son's bible, I wasn't even looking to read anything, I just needed to look away from my boys sitting outside....it was too poignant for me to intrude on their conversation by even just looking at them!

Thank you God, for being faithful even when I am not!

No comments: